Friday, January 21, 2011

"Dream Week"

Hello Internet-


I know it's a little late, but I figure I need to honor an incredible man who once had a dream. I came across a quote by Martin Luther King Jr. and it says...

"We may have all come in different ships, but we're in the same boat now." - MLK Jr.

How true is this! There's this girl in one of my classes, and it's almost like she makes others feel bad for the life they had no choice of being in. She's black, a woman, and in the lower middle to lower class. (not that that matters) But the thing I was talking to my friend about is, is that there is almost this reverse discrimination, because of what the "whites" decided to do in the past. I for one had no choice in the color of my skin. I had no choice in the family I was put in, and had no choice in the economic class I was born into.

I think it's time that we let go of what our ancestors did and live. If you are of another color or religion, don't be angry for the history. I know that history is hard to hear. Sometimes, history affected you personally, and for that my heart goes out to you. I don't first hand know how that feels, but I can only imagine. We must all sail in the same direction in order to get to where we need to be.

I have a dream. I dream that all anger will subside. That one day, my baby girl won't be afraid to go to school because of people making fun of her, not because of her skin color, her religion, but because of what she's wearing. I have a dream that one day my homosexual son won't be harassed because of who he chooses to love. I have a dream that we will all come together and just love. That pain will subside, and genuine people will come back to show us how life should be. I believe we can create the destiny that we dream of, just like Martin Luther King did.

So Internet- with this post I am sharing with you my dream, of what I want for my children of the future, and yours. Benjamin Disraeli once said, "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." Let us show each other the good we all hold, and let go of the negative.

-Miss Optimistic

No comments:

Post a Comment